Wednesday 23 December 2009

Warning - Cold Showers Ahead...

Arriving at the gym I was greeted by not one, not two, but three separate signs warning of a lack of hot water for the showers. The person just ahead of me promptly turned around and headed back to the office - investment bankers clearly aren't as tough as they used to be.

Given yesterday's easy peasy run and no running the day before, today had to count. A good length tempo seemed the obvious choice so I headed over to the Wobbly Bridge to start the standard five and a half mile St James Park, Green Park loop.

I was expecting crowds of tourists, but was pleasantly surprised by how few were about. Perhaps the hotels were having problems with their hot water too.

Horse Guards Parade still had a thin layer of icy slush from last nights dump (yes - snow in central London) but otherwise the pavements were fine. The road crossings were kind to me so I should have recorded a good time. Instead I averaged 6:55 pace, with the mile from half-way up Birdgcage Walk to the top of Green Park considerably slower.

Arriving back at the gym it was promising to see there was now just one sign warning of no hot water. The showers were lukewarm which was probably about right given the reduced warning level.

No comments:

Post a Comment