Friday 26 June 2009

Top-Up Tempo

Not knowing how much running I’ll be able to get in over the coming weekend decided to put in a (slower) tempo run on top of yesterday’s intervals. Weather was muggy with periods of sun interspersed with cloud. In fact by the time I’d got to the Wobbly Bride it looked very much like we were in for a downpour, however, the cloud burst never arrived.

On the way out along the embankment I saw a small group of runners moving at reasonable speed on the other side of the road. Too early for the Hare and Hounds I though but when I saw one of them come within millimetres of being squashed by a car when crossing a side road I had to think again. As it happens I saw then again at the top of Green Park walking towards Wellington Arch having clearly finished their run so I guess they just had a death wish.

Decide to aim at 7 min/mile pace for the 5 mile run which, at around 10 to 15 seconds slower than usual tempo pace, I reckoned would be hard enough to count but was still realistically achievable. As it was I was able to complete the circuit slightly quicker although it felt far from easy. If the sun had been out for the entire run I would have struggled.

On the way back saw what looked like real Hare and Hounds hanging round waiting to start having finished but didn’t recognise anyone so continued on without stopping. Got back to the gym dripping in sweat but happy in the knowledge I had some chilled chocolate milk waiting for me back in the office.

1 comment:

  1. I was right behind you in Green Park. You were in the middle of the main pack at one point. The fast guys nearly got you.

    ReplyDelete